CCYC's Women On The Water

Mission:

To empower women on the water through education and camaraderie. 


About Us:

Corinthian Yacht Club has an initiative in building our community of boaters through more impactful engagement of women. We aim to increase awareness throughout the community, amplify confidence in women, and elevate the diverse and unique skills of women through hands-on experiences, camaraderie, and leadership engagement.We seek the input and engagement of all members in support of this initiative to accelerate exposure to powerboating, sailboat cruising, and sailboat racing through outings and workshops dedicated to docking, driving, knot tying, and more.  Please contact WoW@Corinthian.org to be a part of this initiative or to learn more about our upcoming programs!



We want to know what you are interested in!
Please take a moment to fill out our survey



If you are interested in joining us, please email us at wow@corinthian.org

Featured Event: 

Get your Irish on & Shake Your Shamrock!! Kids of ALL ages are welcome at our St Pat's Party! Come join us after the dyeing of the river green and the St Pat's Parade for Live Music, Dancing, & Fun! (CCYC bar will be open!)



Click below to read up on our events, our featured women, or read more about our committee members.

  • Susan Herrick
  • April Yi
  • Christa Georgeson
  • Meghan O'Rourke
  • Liz Johnson
    • Who: Elizabeth Johnson, CCYC, Crew Member.

      What: Sailor, Rhodes 19 Fleet 12, 3-crew boating/racing.

      Where: Raced Rhodes 19’s in the south, New Orleans, Lake Pontchartrain, east, Rockport and New Bedford, Massachusetts. Pleasure sailed in the BVI’s on a 44’ Beneteau with, Woman-ship organization.
      When: Started racing with my dad at 9 yrs. old on a National One Design at the Illianna Yacht Club, Whiting, ID., Wolf Lake. Found the CCYC yacht club sin Chicago, IL.as an adult. Crewed for Shields, Lightnings, Rhodes 19’s.Skippered a Rhodes 19 National Regatta in Rockport, Massachusetts.

      Why:
      I enjoy being out on the water, near the water, in the water. Along with a good suntan, there is nothing like learning how to make a boat go. I look at it as a big puzzle. It’s got a lot of pieces and each piece has a purpose. Racing offers a consistent opportunity to boating. Traveling by boating is an added bonus. I’d love to share my love for boating

      How: Just show up, 90% of success is just showing up. The other 10% is what you make of it. I have never owned my own boat. I showed up each and every week to crew and got invited to keep coming back. You learn a lot and fast when racing as it is a sport. The competition is what you make of it. You can participate and be competitive, or not. You can learn from every person you cross paths with. It is a boat load, pun intended, of information!
  • Chris Garbacz
  • tab 1
    • Captain Susan Herrick began sailing and teaching from 2007 through 2008 with a local Chicago sailing school.  The summer of 2008 she joined a timeshare sailboat cruising program. While cruising for the next five years, a sailing friend asked her to be the helms-person for the Hook Race from Racine, WI to Menominee, MI (189 miles) in 2011.  This set the tone to start racing local club sailboat races for Wednesday night Beer Can races and many other distance races. She earned her 50-Ton Masters Captain’s License in 2016. In 2018 she put that license to work as captain of bareboat charters on a 40’ powerboat as well as executing seasonal boat deliveries.  She continues to teach, cruise, race, and is a working captain.
  • tab 2
    • ..
  • tab 3
    • ..